Sunday, January 6, 2008

The World Of A Squid


Welcome to The World of a Squid.

You might ask, why I give a name after that mollusks marine creature. Well...to be honest, it's only a name. But, to be very honest again...there's a meaning behind the name.

Squid in Japanese is 'Ika', and Ika is my real name. And why I chose 'squid' instead of any other meaning related to 'Ika' ? Squid was definitely not what my parents wanted me to be.

Ika is originally a sanskrit word

(săn'skrĭt') An ancient Indic language that is the language of Hinduism and the Vedas and is the classical literary language of India (answers.com)

Though I cant tell you the web source that could explain the meaning of 'Ika' in Sanskrit, but my parents believed that 'Ika' means 'One', which is more to 'The Only' rather than 'one' in numerical order. As a matter of fact, I'm the only child of my family (sad...).


This is what Kabalarians.com tells me about my name:

1.Although the name Ika creates the urge to be creative and original, we point out that is causes frustration through a scattered and emotional nature

2.This name, when combined with the last name, can frustrate happiness, contentment, and success, as well as cause health weaknesses in the liver, bloodstream, and in tension or accidents to the head.

3.Your first name of Ika has made you a friendly, approachable, and generous person.

4.Generally you are good-natured, though at times you can be blunt and sarcastic. (me: hmmm…)

5.As you are naturally talkative (!), you find it easy to meet and make friends with many people.

6.This name inclines you to be sympathetic and generous to those in difficult or unfortunate circumstances.

7.You can be firm, positive, and independent in your own ideas and in reaching your own decisions, yet when it comes to taking action or following things through to completion, you often need encouragement.

8.You respond quickly to kind words or any appreciation shown you.

9.There are artistic, creative abilities in this name that you could express through music or singing, or, in a practical way, through sewing or interior decorating

I absolutely agree and like the ideas of point #1,3, 4, 5, 6, 7, and 8, although I have to reflect myself with the idea shown in pt #4, especially with the statement that I can be blunt and sarcastic.


Point #9 gives me a question। Well…I mean I know that I’m artistic and creative, but I don’t think that I can express it through music and singing, despite the fact that I was a member of the church youth choir, and that my music expression is that I love different kinds of music except dangdut and hardcore and heavy metal, but that’s all. I cannot make music. I just listen to it. I think my only artistic expression is that I can arrange words into a composition which then make a story. This blog might be an example.


And pt#2…hmm… I don’t know much about my own health except that I never had a hypertension and I can have headache easily especially if I don’t eat.


This is what you find when you search ‘ika’ on wikipedia
ika is a basic
game engine platform for Windows and Linux. ika was all but discontinued at one point, but a rise in interest has lead the developers to begin working towards a new version. The latest released version of the game engine is version 0.62, which uses Python 2.5


In the same time, you can find a package of Saki Ika or dried squid on the right side of the page.

When I was in Bali I found out that my name could mean Squid. It was a friend of my former employer told me. This fellow called Troy had a Japanese wife and when he knew my name was Ika, he looked at me and asked, “Do you know what your name in Japanese means?” And I shook my head and he explained, “It means cumi-cumi a.k.a squid.” From that moment on, everybody in the office called me “squid.”

At my first meeting with a Japanese friend, Shigetada, I had the impression that he was convincing himself what he heard was really my name। "Ika?" he repeated my word. Shige was a typical Japanese man who wasn't expressive, yet polite. Guessing what he was thinking about, I told him, "Sounds like 'squid'?" And there, I've helped him expressing his thought.


Beside considering the name sound funny to me, it also reminded me that squid has always been my favorite seafood. I really like squids, really, really like them so much. I like calamari, I like seafood cap cay with lots of squid, I like stir-fried squid…I like squids cooked with everything! I like them because they’re chewy, I like their black ink, I like their shape…

The world of a squid might not be as happy and as colorful as ours, and might not be as complicated as ours too…. but if there’s a point that I’d like myself to reflect on this mollusk creature, I am so thankful that I’m not one of them. A life of a human being is complicated yet much much more beautiful than of a short life of a squid’s and the world is much wider than the world of a squid.


1 comment:

rajani said...

recently i saw an indian tv show,in which bombay film star Sanjay dutt said his daughter's name is IKA. and he said the meaning is... THE MOST EDUCATED ONE... and i believe it is the first word of the HOLY QURAN.
THIS IS JUST FOR YOUR INFO.